City officials are preparing to hold public consultations on proposed regulation of short-term accommodations listed on Airbnb and similar web platforms.
The draft regulations require that any short-term rental (STR) located in a residential zone must be the primary residence of the host.
Other proposed regulations include:
- STRs would be permitted in all zones that permit a residential dwelling
- STRs would be defined as any accommodation available for up to 28 days
- hotels and bed and breakfasts would be exempt from STR regulations
- an STR located in any residential zone could not be offered or advertised for more than 180 days per calendar year. This requirement would be waived for residential units permitted in commercial zones.
- STR hosts would be required to have a valid license from the city
- the four per cent municipal accommodation tax (MAT) will be collected from STRs